Here's the backsplash before:
And here's the after:
The textured design shows up from any distance in "real life." It seems to disappear when I take a photo from further away since it is off-white on off-white. It also complements stone hood. I always felt like the tile pattern took away from the stone feature.
How I did it:
First, I primed the tiles
First I practiced all these steps on an extra piece of tile...
Then, I applied joint compound mixed with a tiny bit of acrylic paint (to tint the color) to the tile area. (Part of the reason that I practiced on another piece of tile was to come up with a recipe for the color I wanted.)
The dust control joint compound I used costs about six dollars for a ready to use tub. I used two tubs for this project.
As the joint compound dried (overnight), I noticed that the harlequin design of the tile work showed through. Since I like the effect, I left it this way. I could have applied a second coat if I wanted a smoother look.
Then, I followed Victoria Larson's instructions for stenciling with plaster. I measured and used a level and checked and checked because this would not be an easy project to undo if I messed it up...
I used the same stencil twice to achieve the large medallion effect that I was going for. (The stencil I used was actually a border stencil.) When I completed the right side of the design, I placed the messy stencil on the cardboard it had arrived in, scraped off as much plaster as possible, and then hosed it off outside.
The next day (when the right side was completely dry), I reversed the stencil on the left side. I cut a little of the stencil to fit around the faucet. I did some more cutting under the faucet when I was removing the stencil so that I would not have to smear wet plaster to get it off.
A bonus for me is that this made my windowless kitchen much brighter! I will also be applying a sealer (in case a crazy idea strikes and I cook something on the stove....)
Linking up with: